The IG Department is the smallest department within the Van Metre Companies. Creating the department was the idea of the Owners back in late 2002. The reason for the IG Department’s inception was due to the growth of the company. Because the company grew at such as fast pace the Owner’s were concerned they would not be able to focus on strategic direction for the Van Metre Companies, and to ensure that Van Metre’s good name with respect to day-to day performance and overall customer satisfaction goals were being achieved. The Owners of Van Metre Companies decided to create a group that would act as their “eyes and ears.” The resulting IG group would perform “management by walking around,” reporting their observations back to the Owners.
The IG group not only interfaces with Van Metre employees internally, but with Van Metre Company customers as well. In that sense, the IG Department functions like the internal affairs section of a police department. The IG Department does not supplant the line organizations’ responsibilities within Van Metre. IG does not plan, schedule, execute, or function as a quality assurance or customer service organization per se. Such functions are the primary responsibilities of the various divisions within the Van Metre Companies. Instead, the IG Department acts to ensure that the divisions are consistently responsive (timely) and responsible (reasonable) in their service to customers. br>
The IG department accomplishes these goals through the following activities:
It is through these efforts that the Owners have the ability to assess accurate and timely trends in Van Metre Company performance, and can ensure that the customer received the highest level of quality product and overall satisfaction.
- Inspecting “market ready” apartments for cleanliness, functionality
- Independent survey of new investment property residents satisfaction post move-in and mid-lease
- Monitoring of surveys and alerts from third party organizations
- Educating customers on the proper channels for escalation and problem resolution, thus facilitating timely and responsible response by the line organizations
- Acting as a point of intervention for customers when Owner involvement is requested, but not yet required
- Conducting employee, supplier, and subcontractor satisfaction surveys, and
- Performing independent audits to ensure that full and open procurements are consistently performed